Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Week 4: Reading Dairy A

Wow, I must say Buck’s version of The Ramayana is a lot more detailed and descriptive. I enjoyed reading the very beginning of the book addressing Indrajit, the invisible demon warrior. I also enjoyed the picturization of Valmiki. I liked how descriptive Buck was with Narada’s introduction; the anthill sure sounds disturbing! Valmiki wanting Narada to rescue Sita and teach both her sons, Lava and Kusha the story was impressive. I am personally obsessed with the whole love story of Rama and Sita and their sons. I mean how cute are their names? I concentrated more on Rama and Sita’s marriage and how it all came about to be.

I enjoyed reading how descriptive Buck was with Sita’s appearance for the first time and how he describes her beauty just made me fall in love while reading it. Rama was described as the brave and carefree king and how he managed to rule Ayodhya that same way. I liked reading the whole wedding ceremony scene, especially the parts where they unite them together with water which indicated happiness and how both their hands are called green and gold touching together. I was very impressed with his detailed descriptions and how he elevated the scene a lot more with his details.


Reading the wedding scene reminded me of my culture’s weddings because my family is Brahmin and we also call Brahmans to perform the rituals in the house no matter how small or big the event is they are always called into our home and treated as our own. Performing the scared rituals by Brahmans is something I have seen myself growing up. I like how the most beautiful was Sita and Rama got Sita! I particularly enjoyed reading the part where Sita sees him for the first time so closely and she knew that she fell in love with the right man. I can’t wait to learn more about their epic love story.   

No comments:

Post a Comment