Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Week 11: Reading Diary A

I am glad I decided to read the other version of Mahabharata since it would give me a better perspective of how Buck wrote it and thought about the whole epic. I like how Buck opened his book with the invocation scene and especially opening it with Ganesha. I think it gives the readers a better understanding to why it all started and how it began with the little pre-introduction. Like before I think Buck does a great job with his detailed descriptions and analyzing a particular scene in great depth. I didn't know Shiva got mad at Ganesha which is the reason why he has the elephant face? I seem to not catch on such major details! I enjoyed the detailed narration during the churning of the ocean scene. I liked the detailed descriptions regarding how the poison affected many including Shiva. Finally into the epic, I liked revisiting the whole scene with Ganga but I enjoyed reading it more because the whole scene was wrote in such depth that rereading this scene made a whole lot more sense than the first time. The whole passing the test scene for Draupadi was a lot different than the other book. I thought it was completely new and I thought it was the fish that was aimed at not the bird? Maybe I misread it but I was quite confused reading this scene in this book. So far I think Buck's version does a great job with details and giving a better understanding to scenes than Narayan's version. 

No comments:

Post a Comment